World Music Day is round the corner, a day that celebrates music and its contributions. June 21 is celebrated as World Music Day. History has it that American musician Joel Cohen proposed the idea of celebrating the beginning of summer solstice through music and since then, the entire world celebrates World Music day on June 21.
Another theory related to this day is that since June 21, 1982, France has been celebrating Fete de la Musique as their Music Day. The then French Minister of Culture, Jack Lang, carried the idea forward and the day came to be known as World Music Day.
World Music Day is celebrated in Argentina, Australia, Britain, Luxemburg, Germany, China, Switzerland, Costa Rica, India, Lebanon and several other countries. Over 32 countries celebrate this day by organizing concerts in parks, train stations, museums and all the other public places.
Interesting Musical facts:
- There are sonic artists who actually make music with plants.
- There is music to increase the concentration power of the brain.
- There is music to induce a good soundful sleep.
- There is a research survey which suggests that people stop discovering new music after the age of 30.
How do we relate with it?
Music is a universal language that crosses bridges, barriers, borders, and connects souls all around the world. Earth has music for those who pay heed and listen carefully, like the sound of chirping birds, the splashing raindrops, the squawking squirrels, the fluttering leaves, the rhythmic heartbeat, the whooshing pulse feel, the resonating seashells, the rumbling sea waves and the roaring thunderstorms.
Science recognizes music as a healing therapy. Listening to music is considered as beneficial for health. Some hear music, some focus on the musical lyrics, some feel music, some follow music as a passion.
The Good side of Music:
- Relaxes the mind.
- Improves concentration.
- Lowers down stress.
- Heals the mind and soul.
- Reduces depression.
- Induces good sleep.
- Elevates mood.
- Improves health.
- Releases happy hormones.
Life is like a musical instrument, it resonates depending on how well it’s played. One must carefully listen to its beats in order to play it well.
In the musical life, play the moments, skip the pain, pause the memories and rewind the happiness.
This writing piece of mine, was part of a collaboration with a purpose, the topic being- World Music Day.
The following collaborators, from different countries of the world, participated in this writing event. Do read their take on the same topic:
- Barb Caffrey (“So, if you believe in any sort of Higher Power, one of the things you need to remember is to forgive yourself once in a while.”
- Mylene C. Orillo (“Where I’m at right now is a testament that ‘Dreams really do come true.”)
- Sadaf Siddiqi (“The best thing about memories, is one doesn’t realise they are making memories but once recorded, it just rewinds and takes one back to the beautiful series of life.”)
- Sonyo Estavillo (“I am here to champion anyone from the successful and confident folks, to those that are clinically depressed.”)
- Nicolle K (“Success, for me, is when I spend my days feeling happy, peaceful, fulfilled and without fear of lack.”)